Corporate Use FAQ
Use of the system
- Could you tell me more about corporate use?
- The Information Technology Center, the University of Tokyo provides a part of the Wisteria/BDEC-01 and Oakbridge-CX Supercomputer Systems to corporations as a part of its social contribution program. The Center does not only take on the burden of the computing demands of corporations under this system, but also provides support to corporations that require large-scale and high-performance parallel computing systems, as well as corporations that have not yet engaged in manufacturing based on computing simulations. For details, please refer to the webpage for “Corporate Use.”
- Are there any restrictions (conditions), etc. for corporate use?
- Could you tell me how to apply for corporate use, and where to submit the application?
- Please fill in the necessary fields in the application form for use and application documents, and submit it to the Research Support Team, Information Strategy Group, Information Systems Department, The University of Tokyo. For details, please refer to the webpage on Application for Use for Corporate Use.
- I do not know how to fill in the application documents.
- Please feel free to approach our office for a consultation.
Research Support Team, Information Strategy Group, Information Systems Department, The University of Tokyo.
- When should I submit an application for use?
- Applications are scheduled twice a year for Corporate use (genaral), and screening for use by the Screening Committee for Eligibility to Use the Supercomputer Systems (hereafter, “Screening Committee”) is carried out once every half year. Also for Corporate use (trial), call for applications is open throughout two year, and screening for use is carried out four times a year. As the resources available are limited, there may be cases where recruitment is not carried out. For details, please refer to the Screening Schedule for Corporate Use.
- Projects are subjected to screening under the corporate use system. How are they screened? Could you tell me more about the screening criteria?
- All submissions are screened by the Screening Committee. The Screening Committee conducts an interview on the contents of the application, and applications that are deemed to be inconsistent with the objectives of corporate use will not be selected. In cases where there is a large number of applications, an order of priority will be assigned to projects based on the screening criteria. For details, please refer to the Guidelines to Screening for the Corporate Use of Supercomputers at the Information Technology Center, the University of Tokyo.
- Can I try out the supercomputers before submitting an application for use?
You can do so through the coporate use (trial).
By trying out the supercomputer systems, potential users can get a sense of using the computers before making the transition to regular use. For details, please refer to the webpage on Trial Use Course.
- Could you tell me the flow of procedures leading up to the use of the supercomputers?
- Please refer to the following flowchart.
- After submitting the application for use, approximately how long will it take for the application to be approved?
- The start date of use differs depending on the period of application. For details, please refer to the Screening Schedule for Corporate Use.
- Could you tell me about the cost of use?
- Please refer to the system usage fee table in the "Corporate Use".
Cost of use by month FY2022
(Wiseria/BDEC-01 / Oakbridge-CX ).
・Corporare Use (Trial)
- Which cost plan is applicable for joint research between a university and a corporation?
- The cost plan for university will be applied. Please note that it is necessary to submit a copy of the research agreement in such cases.
- How long is the period of use for corporate use?
- The maximum period of use is until the end of the fiscal year. It is not possible to apply for use beyond the fiscal year.
- If I exceed the period of use for corporate use, is it possible to back up my files?
- The files will be deleted once the period of use expires. Hence, users are advised to back up the important and necessary files before the period of use expires.
- Can I add disk storage?
- Additional disk storage can be provided where necessary for all the systems. To add disk storage, please submit an application for changes to the use. It costs 540 yen (one month) per 1TB of disk storage.
- Can I add the number of nodes that I can use after I start using the supercomputer system?
- It is necessary to obtain the approval of the Screening Committee to add the number of nodes that can be used. As there is a limit to the resources available, please note that there may be cases where your application cannot be accepted.
- Can I add tokens if I have used them all up?
- It is necessary to obtain the approval of the Screening Committee to add tokens. As there is a limit to the resources available, please note that there may be cases where your application cannot be accepted.
- Could you tell me more about the tokens?
- For explanations and FAQ about tokens, please refer to the webpages about “Tokens” (Wisteria/BDEC-01 / Oakbridge-CX).
- Are there any differences between corporate use and regular use (group course)?
- No. Under the former HA8000 cluster system, dedicated queues were allocated for each unit of application for corporate use. However, for the currently available systems, the queues used are the same as for regular users.
- Which queues can I use for the available system?
As explained in the Q&A above, the queues used are the same as for regular users (group course). However, please note that the consumption coefficient changes depending on the number of nodes applied for and the number of nodes for job execution. For details, please refer to the following pages.