Application eligibilityThe person-in-charge of the project must fulfill the following criteria 1 - 3.
- Faculty, researchers, students (undergraduate/graduate) who belong to a Japanese university or public organization or researchers who belong to Japanese corporations. It is necessary for students to obtain the approval of supervising faculty. It is necessary for corporate researchers to obtain the approval of supervisor.
- Young researchers (40 years old or below as of April 1, 2023), women researchers (regardless of age), or students (regardless of age).
- The project representative must be a resident as defined by the Foreign Exchange and Foreign Trade Act as of the start date of the research project.
- The applicant must be either an undergraduate or graduate student (master’s or doctoral).
For the intern program, in addition to the above criteria, the project representative must fulfill criterion 4:
- Research projects must be for academic purposes and contribute to the field of large-scale high-performance computing or data science/data utilization.
- Projects must be conducted by a solo researcher.
- Applications must not overlap research periods under this recommendation program. (e.g. If the application is adopted for General program (First half term) (12 months), he/she cannot apply for the Intern program or General program (Second half term).)
- Upon completion, based on feedback and the achievements attained, the original exploratory research should develop into a full-fledged joint research project at JHPCN.
For the general program, in addition to the above criteria, the project representative is expected criterion 4:
Available computational resources and volume of resourcesThe computational and other resources for use are listed below. The Center covers all associated fees, including additional disk usage. Selected researchers can use resources free of charge.
Up to the maximum available tokens (as shown in the table below) can be used in Wisteria/BDEC-01 Odyssey, and Wisteria/BDEC-01 Aquarius. Please note that the maximum available tokens change based on the usage period. Additional disk capacity can be added to these systems.
The unit for Wisteria/BDEC-01 Odyssey use is a node. The table below shows the token consumption coefficient for one node. In a system with a token consumption coefficient α for one node, if X nodes are used for T hours, the required number of tokens is X*T*α.
The unit for Wisteria/BDEC-01 Aquarius use is 1 GPU. The list below shows the token consumption coefficient for 1 GPU. In a system with a token consumption coefficient α for 1 GPU, if X GPUs are used for T hours, the required number of tokens is X*T*α. If you use one node, the number of tokens must include all GPUs on one node.
As for mdx, ensure that value is below the maximum value for vCPUs, GPUs, virtual disk, and various storages. For mdx, some resources such as disk capacity can be added.
Oakbridge-CX system* Oakbridge-CX cannot be applied due to service termination on September 30, 2023.
Screening of projects
- Projects are selected based on screening of documents carried out by the Center’s faculty.
- Several dozens of outstanding research proposals are selected each year.
- The Center plans to recommend exceptional projects selected under the general program that fulfill the criteria as an Exploratory Joint Research Project under JHPCN to JHPCN as Exploratory Joint Research Projects.
- We actively select proposals that are expected to create academically impactful research achievements through the utilization of the computer systems offered by the program.
- We welcome proposals related to software development that should help improve the usage environment such as that of supercomputers.
- We welcome proposals that require beyond the present environment and aim to utilize advanced future supercomputer environments..
- As for the use of mdx, we particularly welcome diverse research in data science and data utilization, including the collection and maintenance of diverse data across science, engineering, humanities, and liberal studies; data sharing and platform maintenance in research communities; and data analysis utilizing advanced methods in data science such as machine learning.
For the projects selected under the intern program, faculty members from the Center will participate as joint researchers to provide technical and academic assistance.
Application methodApplication for FY2023 First half term has been closed.
* Be sure to apply from the web page according to the application procedure.
* Please use the latest application form.
- Please obtain the application number from the web page.
- Please access the URL below and fill in the form.
* Application number issue web page
- After filling in the form, please click the button.
- The Application number will be sent to the e-mail address filled in the form.
* The application number is needed when you apply.
- Please fill in the application form B.
- Please download the application form B below.
- Please fill in the application form B and converted it to a PDF.
- Please apply from the web page.
- Please access the URL below and fill in the form.
* Application web page
- In addition, please submit the application form B (PDF format) from the web page.
- An e-mail notification of application completion will be sent to you.
* The application form B (PDF format) and an application form A (PDF format) which includes contents you filled in the form will be attached to the e-mail.
(Sample of application format A)
* It is necessary for students to obtain the approval of supervising faculty. It is also necessary for corporate researchers to obtain the approval of supervisor. After application, we will send confirmation e-mail to the supervising faculty or the supervisor. Your application will be completed when the supervising faculty or the supervisor has been confirmed.
Application guidelines and application form for FY2023
|Application guidelines||Application form B|
Reporting research achievements
- You must submit a research report within one month of project completion.
- You must write an article related to the achievements of your research (6 - 8 pages long in an A4 size document) for Supercomputing News published by the Center. The manuscript submission is due approximately three months after project completion. The due date can be extended up to two years after project completion for reasons related to publishing a research paper.
- Upon completion, you must present your research in a report meeting, which also acts as a social event among users and between users and the Center. The project report meeting for the projects selected in FY2023 is planned for June 2024. In principle, travel expenses to the presentation venue for one person per project are provided in accordance with the regulations of The University of Tokyo.
- If the achievements of research conducted under this program are published in an academic journal or other medium, clearly state that the computer system use was provided through the Recommendation Program for Young Researchers and Woman Researchers offered by Information Technology Center, The University of Tokyo. Submit a list of achievements to the Research Support Team.
- If your project is selected as an Exploratory Joint Research Project by JHPCN, you may be invited to present a poster of your research plans or achievements during the JHPCN symposium held annually in July. Whether research plans or achievements are included in the presentation poster depends on the selection timing of your project. (In such cases, travel expenses are paid.)
- You may be invited to present in seminars, workshops or other events organized or co-hosted by the Center.
English translation of acknowledgements when reporting the research results in academic papers, etc.
Please use the English translations provided below when publishing English papers, etc. after the use of this program.English title of this program
Recommendation Program for Young Researchers and Woman Researchers, Information Technology Center, The University of Tokyo.Example of English acknowledgement
This research is partially supported by Initiative on Recommendation Program for Young Researchers and Woman Researchers, Information Technology Center, The University of Tokyo.
Research Support Team, Information Strategy Group, Information Systems Department, The University of Tokyo
(Please include “Young researchers” in the subject field)